Successfully selling a business involves much more than just finding a buyer and handing over the keys. Selling a business requires you to devise a strategic business exit plan, from balancing the books to investing in technological updates to polishing the public image. Getting maximum value out of the business you’ve worked so hard to build requires — yes, you guessed it — more work, but with the help of our team at Ashley Capital Group, you’re well on your way.
Follow these steps to a successful sale, and if you need to find a business partner with the wisdom, experience and resources to guide you through what can be a complicated process, give us a call today!
- Know Your Worth — Have an unbiased third party perform a valuation of your business, taking into account factors such as your debts, assets, sales, and inventory; even your location and turning it into a number you can present to potential buyers.
- Crunch the Numbers — Now is the time to straighten up the books, organize your tax records and financial statements, and prepare yourself for total transparency in the seller-buyer relationship.
- Polish Your Brand — A thriving business is an attractive one, and anything you can do to improve the health of your business will increase the value in a buyer’s eyes. Ramping up your marketing efforts to reach a broader customer base, increasing sales, updating technology, giving the storefront a facelift — these are just some of the many ways to add polish to your product.
- Vet Potential Buyers — Do your due diligence when it comes to assessing buyers. Make sure they have the proper financial backing to follow through with a deal.
- Lawyer Up! — As with any business transaction, there will be legal i’s to dot and t’s to cross before the deal can go through. There will be contracts, specifically an asset purchase agreement, that need to be written up and combed over. Chances are you already have good legal guidance in your corner; you’ll need it now more than ever!
- Get the Right Help — As a leading mergers and acquisitions firm, Ashley Capital Group has spent years building relationships in our industry, and we can put those connections to work for you. We know how to help you get maximum return on your investment, and after all the time and sweat you’ve poured into your business over the years, you deserve nothing less.
If you’re ready to sell, we’re ready to help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.